what to wear for Kili summit?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

what to wear for Kili summit?

Postby Bevalah » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:46 am

Wondering what to pack in regards to warm clothing... do I need snowpants for summit night/morning? Would hiking pants with a couple of pairs of thermals underneath work? Wind pants with the same? Do I take a Gortex shell with a couple of fleece for underneath or bring my down jacket, or both? I think I'm about to make MEC really, really happy.
Bevalah
User Rank: Traveller

Re: what to wear for Kili summit?

Postby mytwoleftfeet » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:36 pm

Hi Bevalah,

I summitted Kili in July 2008 via the Lemosho route. My group climbed for 8 days to reach Uhuru (descent on day 8 & 9), so the night of 6th and 7th day were really cold (stayed at Crater camp night before the summit at minus 25 degrees.) I wore my insulated pants trekking only during those 2 days. However I wore them more at night since we camped rather than stay in huts.

I'm not sure when you're planning your trek. When I started the trek I only wore my convertible pants. When it got cooler, I wore my water repellant pants (I wear them for skiing in Canada). If I remember correctly here's what I brought with me:

1 convertible pants
1 water repellant ski pants (Patagonia)
1 insulated pants (wore this last 2 days trekking; wore it most nights to sleep)
1 wool longjohn thermals (only wore this at night; wore it once during the day, had to take it off)
2 T shirts (quick dry) - - don't bring cotton shirts
2 Long sleeve shirts (quick dry) - - 1/4 zip base layer ski shirts are the best
3 in 1 jacket (liner & fleece) - - this is handy as you can peel layers
1 parka (700 down) - - wore this most nights sleeping; never wore this during trek, too hot!
6 pairs of wool socks - - - cotton socks are not recommended
7 pairs of sock liners
scarf
sun hat
winter hat (one that covers your ears are the best)
light weight gloves (brought kayaking gloves which came in handy as your hands get really dry)
heavy weight winter gloves
gaiters (a life saver for my pants; heavy weight ones are the best; it's dusty/muddy going up & down)
head lamp

If you're going with an trip outfitter, they should be able to provide you with a list. I hope that helps!

Remember pole! pole! Go slow, climb high, sleep low, be humble! Work with mother nature.

All good things! ................................ Emma
"The funny thing about the rat race is even if you win, you are still a rat" - - - read this somewhere. :0)
mytwoleftfeet
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: what to wear for Kili summit?

Postby Bevalah » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Thank you Emma. This is really helpful. Time to go shopping!
Bevalah

Return to Africa and Middle East