Spending money

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Spending money

Postby melaniert » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:20 am

About how much is a good estimate of cash to bring on the trip? I am going on Dunes, Deltas, Falls (Zambia, Namibia, Botswana, South Africa). Should I only bring a few hundred and expect ATMs along the way, or do I need to bring most of what I will need from the start? Also, should I convert money at the airport or will there likely be places along the way to convert to whatever is needed, particularly for the first stop in Zambia?
Last edited by melaniert on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melaniert
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Spending money

Postby kateyb » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:23 pm

there were lots of places that I withdrew cash from the ATM. The guide also took some of the others to a bank so they could exchange cash. I would bring a few hundred US dollars just in case. Some of the people on our trip had troubles with the ATM machines in one of the places we were at.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:07 pm

I would take $300-400 in USD currency (new bills in good shape, take a bit in smaller bills so you don't have to worry about getting change when you bargain) and plan on using ATMs whenever possible. With any luck, you only need to touch the cash to pay for your visas at the borders but plan on having at least $200 USD cash over and above the visa fees just in case -- and having a bit more is better.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby jessiainscough » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:57 am

I did this trip 3 years ago, and took some SA Rand to get me started (since that's good throughout SA and Namibia), some USD (for Zambia visa, emergencies, used the rest to tip guide/driver at the end of the trip), and then used an ATM in Botswana/Zambia - there were never any problems finding one as far as I can remember.
jessiainscough

Postby richie_nz » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi, just in regards to the ATMs along the way (doing Vic Falls-Nairobi, so covers similar areas) do the machines dispense local currency or USD?

Thank you
richie_nz
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby kateyb » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:14 pm

They dispense them in the local currency. Try to use the local currency as much as possible as you will get a better exchange for it. At markets I was able to trade books and clothing articles for the handicrafts I bought. If I would have known how common this was I would have packed more paper backs.
kateyb

Return to Africa and Middle East