Clothing and bag for Dunes, Deltas, Falls

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Clothing and bag for Dunes, Deltas, Falls

Postby melaniert » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:32 pm

I have noticed that a wheeled duffel is the most recommended bag for Dunes, Deltas, Falls (or really any overland trip) followed by a regular duffel. I own a regular duffel but would have to buy a wheeled duffel just for this trip if I wanted one, so I was wondering if it is beneficial enough to have the wheeled duffel to make it worth the purchase. How far/long should I realistically be expecting to carry my bag on a regular basis? Enough that I should really invest in the wheeled duffel or should I just get by with my regular duffel?

As for clothes, I have seen that it is recommended to stay away from black and bright colors (there goes most of my wardrobe haha), and to bring pants and long sleeves to combat mosquito bites. When I looked at some videos of people who had been on the trip previously though, I see plenty of black, colored clothes, tank tops, shorts, etc. I would really appreciate some feedback on what I should realistically plan to have in terms of types of clothes. I will definitely want some long sleeves etc. just because I get cold easily and I will be traveling in August, but should I go out and buy pants and long sleeved shirts that are khaki/olive etc.? I was thinking of wearing leggings a lot since they are good for layering under other pants if I get cold, they cover most of your legs, they are comfy for long days or long walks, and so forth. Most of mine are black or dark brown, but I could probably find some in lighter colors. Also, is it ok if I don't take specialized quick dry clothes or other things? People were recommending clothes that I think are specifically designed for camping (light weight, quick dry, etc.) which is obviously helpful, but I don't own anything like that, so is that important to go buy or can I get by with regular, every day clothes?
melaniert
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Clothing and bag for Dunes, Deltas, Falls

Postby btomlin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:00 pm

I take a wheeled duffel (but that is what I have). The distances you will have to carry your pack are not usually that far, but it will depend on how heavy your pack is and how fit/strong you are. I would suggest you should be able to (relatively) comfortably carry your bag 75 - 100 meters. You will just be hauling it to/from the campsite/truck, but depending on campsites, the distance will vary.

The advice to avoid black and dark blue is because these colors are said to attract tsetse flies and it is recommended not to wear these colors when game driving in tsetse areas. I wouldn't worry about this for your trip. You can see the affected areas on a map http://apps.who.int/neglected_diseases/ ... t/hat.html

The advice to avoid bright colors is normally so you "blend in" more when on game drives etc. Most of my travel wardrobe is black, just because that is a color I am comfortable wearing (doesn't show dirt or stains as much).

Quick dry clothing is helpful, especially when you need to be doing some laundry during the trip, as you are often just somewhere for 1 night at a time, so things that take longer to dry will probably not have a chance to dry overnight. I wouldn't go out and buy a whole new wardrobe at this point, but you could pick up one or two key items in quick dry material. Even when taking your regular clothes, pay attention to fabrics as some are faster drying than others.
Leggings are a great idea for a base layer, especially at that time of year. I wouldn't bother buying a light colored pair. Don't forget a fleece or warmer sweater, and other long sleeves that you can layer underneath.
Hopefully that is a bit helpful! You will have a fabulous time!
btomlin

Postby melaniert » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:12 pm

That was super helpful, thanks so much!!
melaniert

Postby melaniert » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Is a money belt a good idea or do people not realistically really end up using them?
melaniert

Postby btomlin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:44 pm

I think everyone has a different opinion on moneybelts. I have one (the style that you wear around your stomach, under your clothes) and I've maybe used it once or twice when I was really nervous. On my last overland trip I brought my moneybelt, but I kept it in the safe on the truck, with my passport and most of my cash, extra credit card etc. I keep minimal cash on me, and keep it in a few different zippered pockets etc.
btomlin

Postby melaniert » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I think I will go without one. I have traveled plenty previously and have never felt the need for one. I think I'll stick to the typical keep things in the safe, don't keep a lot on you, and generally be aware of your surroundings and cautious with your things. Thanks!
melaniert

Postby helix » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:09 am

Bag: I don't know why they would recommend a wheeled bag. Most of the places are just sand and nothing else so you have to carry your bag anyway. I had a big rucksack on this tour and it worked out fine.

clothes: I mostly wore my safari uniform (i finished a 6 months safari guide course in South Africa just before this tour) but also some black clothes on safaris. I also had some bright coloured clothes i wore while in cities or driving with a truck. Black or other dark colours shouldn't be a problem. The main problem with bright colours on safaris is that you stand out on peoples photos (or in they eyes)! Animals (except monkeys and baboons) are colour blind so they won't care... :wink:

Have a great trip!
helix

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:43 pm

It depends on what your everyday clothes are. I wouldn't advise blue jeans or sweatshirts mainly because they take forever to dry. Thinner khakis or slacks will work but may still be a bit damp in the morning. On the other hand, you can just wear the same pair 2-3 days in a row while your other pair is drying. Think in terms of layers for warmth -- you can use thinner t-shirts, long sleeve overshirts, and even a shawl or scarf to build up your layers but still have items that dry reasonably quickly.

You should be fine with your wheel-less duffel bag. I mainly left my main bag on the truck and used my daypack to take overnight things to my tent. Despite what helix says, I think top-loading rucks are a pain in the butt on this kind of trip, mainly due to having to dig to find things or to repack. My bag going from Nairobit to Jo'burg was a convertible suitcase/backpack so it was easy to open up and find exactly what I wanted.

I liked having a money belt in Zanzibar but you're unlikely to need or want one for Dunes, Deltas and Falls. You'll probably find everyone else on the trip feels more-or-less like family by day 2 (except maybe those over 40 old fogeys :lol: ) and you won't be that concerned about your wallet. The truck has an onboard safe you can use for your main stash anyway.

When you're in Livingstone, I would advise you keep a small amount of cash in one pocket and hide your larger stash somewhere else -- NOT because of thieves but so you don't show merchants that you can afford more than you're offering when you negotiate.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby melaniert » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks for the tips!
melaniert