DKUE- Lake Bunyoni

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

DKUE- Lake Bunyoni

Postby froggybraveheart » Sun May 25, 2014 9:47 am

Days 5-7 of Ultimate East Africa tour (DKUE) are spent gorilla tracking in the Lake Bunyoni area. When you are not tracking gorillas there are other options such as fishing, canoeing or mountain biking. Even if I Google Lake Bunyoni it doesn't look like there is a lot to do there. I would love to hear from other people who have done this tour or East Africa Overland. Are there other things to do while we are there? Is it possible to arrange a day trip to Queen Elizabeth National Park?
froggybraveheart
User Rank: Traveller

Re: DKUE- Lake Bunyoni

Postby btomlin » Mon May 26, 2014 4:29 pm

When I was there in 2012, during our extra time we got massages (which turned into a half day adventure), and visited the Little Angels Orphanage (though I've read that G Adventures no longer endorses this activity).
This is the camp that we stayed at http://www.bunyonyioverland.com/
They list the same type of activities as are in the trip notes, canoeing or mountain biking etc.

There is a bar at the camp, and some nice areas to just relax. But it is definitely one of the more "boring" parts of the trip. You can walk near the camp, there are some small villages etc.

I doubt you would be able to take a day trip to QENP, as because of the poor road conditions it does take forever to get anywhere, so I expect it wouldn't be doable in one day.

Hope that helps a bit!
btomlin

Postby froggybraveheart » Mon May 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess I was kind of expecting that sort of answer since I wasn't finding very much on line. Oh, well, I guess the excitement of tracking gorillas will have to suffice at this stop!
froggybraveheart

Postby markmol » Tue May 27, 2014 6:29 pm

hi when i went our guide organised a day trip to Rwanda for 6 of us, it took all day but was well worth doing.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby grash » Thu May 29, 2014 5:56 pm

What did you actually DO in Rwanda? If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much did it cost?
grash

Postby markmol » Thu May 29, 2014 6:52 pm

hi, we had lunch at the Hotel Rwanda in Kigali, went to the local markets, then we were taken to the church by a Tutsi surviver of the 1994 massacre & had a history lesson on that terrible day. it was along day cost us around $60. Well worth it
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby froggybraveheart » Sat May 31, 2014 9:35 am

Definitely something I would be interested in
froggybraveheart

Postby ahakstun » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:18 am

I'm doing the East Africa Overland tour in August, and a trip to Rwanda from Lake Bunyoni would be interesting for me/us too. Do we have to organize it ourself, or can we just ask the guide to help us? Is it right that it's about a three hour drive? What about visas?
ahakstun
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Africa and Middle East