So many places!....

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

So many places!....

Postby 14wanderlust » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Hi,
I am Canadian, 46, will soon be on my own (empty nester), and new to adventure travel. I have been pouring over the GAP catalogue endlessly trying to decide which trip to start with! If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
I am adventurous, fit, and have considered some of the original or active trips. I will be traveling on my own, as my friends are not into trying new things like I am :? I figure that this is a wonderful way to meet new people of all ages and nationalities though. Some of the places I definitely want to see are Kenya and Peru. The Argentinian gourmet tour looked great, but alas is completely booked until the fall. :cry:
Happy travels everyone!

Victoria
14wanderlust
User Rank: Weekender

Postby vebrinda » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:58 pm

hi victoria! I'm Julie, 55, widowed 3 years ago, and also traveling on my own for the first time. I am heading to Peru in 5 weeks, and I'm both excited and scared. I am doing an original adventure, and I am hoping to meet some like-minded and diverse people on this trip.

This forum has really alleviated a lot of my worries and concerns. It has been hard getting all geared up all by myself... I spent 20 years with the love of my life and best friend, and it has been hard to get used to the solo gig. but I'm doing it, and I'm excited! I'll let you know how my trip goes when I get back at the end of May.

Good luck on your adventures!

julie
vebrinda
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby ballu » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:02 am

I usually start with one thing I've always wanted to see (machu picchu, pyramids etc.) and go from there.

If you have the time, sometimes longer trips aren't that much more expensive than shorter ones. When I went to Peru, the 2 week trip was only about $200 less than the 3 week trip (more internal flights on the 2 week one), so I went for 3 weeks and got to see Nazca, and the Colca Canyon.

Usually once I've been somewhere I don't plan on going back (too many other destinations), but the Northern Peru Discovery trip sounds really great.

I've never been to Kenya, but I'm sure that would be great too. I've had my eye on the Cultural Kenya trip...oh, if only I could win a big lotto jackpot!
ballu

Postby LesinFL » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:01 am

Hi Victoria,

I agree with Ballu that there are too many other destinations, so don't plan on going back. Choose the places you most want to visit, then choose the tour that best fit the criteria.

I am 58, and I have traveled solo on tours since 1996. I did tours of the USA, Canada, and Europe with Cosmos, and next month, I am doing the Essential China tour, my first with GAP. I have met some of the nicest people on those tours, and I still keep in touch with quite a few of them, so Julie, you will meet like-minded people.

You will have fun!

Les
LesinFL

Postby vebrinda » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:13 pm

Thanks, LesinFL...
It is nice to look forward to meeting new people and seeing new places. I am getting less anxious and more excited about this trip each day. This forum has really helped, and I feel a lot more prepared than I did a few weeks ago!

I hope someday I get to meet some of the wonderful people who have encouraged me through this forum. You all sound like a great group of people!
vebrinda

Postby Jake » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Finding a place to go is easy. Just think about the one place in the world you always wanted to see and book it. Don't think about it because you'll psych yourself out. For me, the only place I ever wanted to go was Scotland. I went, and 31 countries later, I'm still traveling. GAP makes it easy and cheap.

Happy trails.
Jake
Jake

Postby L810th » Sat May 05, 2007 11:03 am

Hi! Victoria,

Our two sons are now able to look after themselves and that gives my wife and I more freedom to re-start our love of traveling. We completed a round the world tour last year that touched on many places we always wanted to visit. It simply gave us a taste of far off places and allowed us to plan more detailed returns.
Our favourite places were Vietnam and Peru. Vietnam for it's vibrancy of culture, colour and warmth. Peru for it's timeless rugged landscapes that have no boundary in either colour range or musical tone. Peru is the original "Somewhere in Time".
Doing this kind of trip allows you to get a better picture of what is out there with it's diversity of cultures and landscapes. Knowing that each neighbouring country will have similar offerings. So many places... Yes! but now we can focus on them one at a time.
My advice to any traveler is to keep your expectations low and you will always have a lovely experience wherever you go.
Have a great experience Victoria!
Mike & Jackie.
L810th
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to New Members