New, slightly nervous member.

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

New, slightly nervous member.

Postby ghaandlykken » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:57 am

Hi, I'm Gunnhild from Norway and a first time traveler with G Adventures. I'm going on the Coast to Coast Eastbound road trip on July 13, 2013, doing some travelling on my own before and after. I am starting my travels in San Diego and staying for 3 nights. I'm considering a day trip to Mexico if possible. Then I'm going by train or bus to LA also for 3 nights. Ending up in San Francisco, where i also have a couple of days by my self, before I meet up with my travel- group. I am a bit nervous about travelling alone for various reasons. I'm a bit absent- minded and shy, hoping I wont get lost i the big city.I want to explore as much as I can while traveling. I would really appreciate any tip on what to see, do, eat, music, where to sleep etc.

Gunnhild
ghaandlykken
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: New, slightly nervous member.

Postby sinecure » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:01 pm

I normally start out looking at concert listings, travel sites like tripadvisor to see what attractions are popular and check out a guide book. What sort of things are you looking to do?
sinecure

Postby Janice08 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:36 am

My advice for exploring new cities is to always have the address of the hotel you are staying at with you, or better yet, a map with the hotel marked on it. That way if you get lost you can always get a taxi back, or ask for bus/subway directions. If I've booked the hotel/hostel ahead of time I often print off the google map page with it on it. However, make sure it is accurately on the map. Often it isn't.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ghaandlykken » Fri May 10, 2013 7:04 am

Thanks for your advise! I'm going to print all of my hostel details,including maps and bring them with me at all times. I am planning on seeing some main attractions in each city. In San Diego I'm planning on spending a day at the beach, possibly Pacific Beach. I might visit Sea world as well and then visit the Old Town for some Mexican cuisine . I also want to spend a day visit Balboa Park and the Gaslamp District. In LA I am considering touristy activities such as Universal Studios and Hollywood Boulevard. I'm considering Griffith observatory for its great view.I want to visit Venice Beach and Rodeo Drive, for the experience. I would like to visit The Getty Center and Graumans Chinese Theater, although it will probably be quite cramped in July..I might visit The Walt Disney Concert Hall for the architecture. In San Francisco I am thinking about renting a bike and peddling around.I would like to cross the Golden Gate. I'm considering Alcatraz, but not sure if its worth it? I want to visit the Museum of Modern Art,The Beat Museum and MH de Young Fine Arts Museum. My bus stops at the fisherman's wharf and I am staying in Haight-Ashbury. I would love to see a concert as well but haven't found anything of interest yet. I have three nights in San Diego and in La. Four nights in San Francisco before meeting up with my group.My planning is a bit unorganized right now. What do you think? Grateful for every tip!
ghaandlykken

Postby beckyp » Fri May 10, 2013 8:36 am

Mexico. I don't think that I would bother going across the border from US into Mexico. I did several years ago. You will get held up at the border and when you get the other side walk or taxi into the town. it is really not much to look at and loads of hassle from street vendors and scammers. Better spending time around San Diego. I would take the train up the coast to San Francisco. ( Have been looking at this route for a trip next year and make sure you get the one that runs along the coast) Did Alcatraz visit years ago and it is unique if you are interested in the history of the place.Have a great trip.
beckyp

Return to New Members