New to the "hole" and a solo traveler...

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

New to the "hole" and a solo traveler...

Postby moonlightoperation » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Anyone have any advice for solo travelers looking to travel AND Meet some interesting people?

I"m looking to book my first trip with GAdventures for early May 2013 (first week)--anyone have any interest in booking a trip? providing suggestions for first trips? advice? All suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
moonlightoperation
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: New to the "hole" and a solo traveler...

Postby Janice08 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:24 pm

That's a pretty open ended question. Everyone on this forum will have a different suggestion for a first place to go. Any specific interests - do you want an active trip where you have lots of opportunity for hiking, whitewater rafting, ziplining, riding animals (horses, donkeys, elephants, etc.), mountain biking, etc. or do you just want to explore new places and cultures and meet new people? How long do you have to travel? Budget? Nice hotel with all the ammentities every night or "just give me somewhere that I can put my head down and close my eyes to get energy for the next day" kind of place?

Most G Adventures trips have a mix of couples/friends travelling together and individuals that go on their own so you'll have plenty of opportunity to "meet some interesting people" no matter what trip you go on.

I say use the search feature to narrow down the trip by answering some of the questions above and then pick one and go for it. Read up on other people's experiences and questions on this forum and ask all you need to. Go with an open mind and a positive attitude and you'll have a great time.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: New to the "hole" and a solo traveler...

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:35 am

I agree, you should first decide which continent interests you the most, then select the region/country/countries you want to see and your favourite trip style. Then have a look at the tours which run in those countries and for availabilites on those tours. Early May is pretty soon and popular tours may be booked out already or have only a limited spaces available.

When you have choosen a continent you can also order a brochure. It's sometimes nice to have both together, the website and a brochure to compare.

I have done five "Classic"-Style and one "YOLO"-Style tour with G Adventures and I am not a fan of the "YOLO" Style but I really like the "Classic"-Style trips.

If you decide that South East Asia is the region for your first trip, if the "Classic" Style is your Style and if you can afford to travel around 30 days I'd recommend the "Classic" Style 29 days "Indochina Encompassed" trip (Trip Code: ATIE) which after my opinion is the perfect first G Adventures trip in South East Asia.

http://www.gadventures.com/trips/indoch ... ef=asearch

It's one of those trips which is very popular. They also have a quiet similar 30 days "YOLO" Style "Indochina Discovery" trip which is 300 Euros cheaper but you should be aware that a YOLO Tour normally "only" includes the accommodation, the transport and a CEO (Chief Experience Officer/Tour leader) - you have to pay extra for entrance fees and transports to the sights - while a lot of entrance fees and the transportation to the sights are already included in the Classic Style tours and the accommodations are more comfy in many places.

Longer trips often consists of two, three or more portions which can be booked seperately. Both Indochina trips, for example, consists of three tour portions (a Northern Thailand and Laos part, a Vietnam portion and a Cambodia part) which can be booked seperately.

My first G Adventures tour was the "Thailand and Laos Adventure" which is the first part of the "Indochina Encompassed" trip. I wished I could have done the full "Indochina Encompassed" but at that time I had booked my international flights already and then came across G Adventures and at that time the Vietnam and Cambodia portions of my tour were booked out already. In between I have done the Cambodia part of that tour as well but it would have been nice to do the full Indochina loop all in one.

Enjoy your planning

Vanessa

Stories and photos from my travels: http://www.travellingcolognian.com/
kiwikoalabaer77
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to New Members