Are We Too Old?

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Are We Too Old?

Postby canadaon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:37 pm

I'm asking this anticipating I might get a variety of responses. A friend said we should check out these tours as we've recently retired and now we have time to travel without being tied to a work schedule. We have done some cruising and southern resorts but whenever I look at some of these adventure tours, it feels like it could be life-changing but we have never done anything like this. I'm interested in a possible sailing cruise to the Greek Islands and the Best of New Zealand but I just read on the pdf that the NZ tour is popular with 18-30 year old. Will this mean that we'll be the grandparents of the tour? or that we might not be fit enough to handle it? We have a history of being bookworms but in anticipation of retirement we have ventured a wee bit into small kayaks, snowshoes, skis, new bikes, a bit of hiking and we're doing some exercise on the spin bike and pool at the local U. We also gave up family camping in favor of hotels about 15 years ago due to some arthritis. Have any of you "older" young at hearts had some life changing experiences and does age make a difference on a tour described as being popular with 18-30? I really like the idea of that NZ tour. Thanks.
canadaon
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Are We Too Old?

Postby TravelFun » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi there, first welcome to the watering hole and second, you're never too old to travel.

Make sure you read the trip details which clearly state the type of travel is expected, accommodation type and physical grading...if you can do most them then just sign up. The Best of NZ is a YOLO trip which now doesn't have an age restriction but it is more basic accommodation. I'm highlighting the accommodation because of your following statement:

canadaon wrote:We also gave up family camping in favor of hotels about 15 years ago due to some arthritis.

It does state the type of places you'll be staying in the trip notes but here's an extract:
Basic hotels (10 nts), eco-lodges (3 nts, some multi-share), lodges (5 nts, some multi-share), cabins (1 nt), bush camp (1 nt)

So you're not limited to what trip you can book but just to what type of trip you want to do.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby Janice08 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:56 am

As Travelfun said, you are never too old to travel. However, if you are hesitating a bit about jumping right in from resorts and cruise ships, you may want to look at the "trip styles." The G Plus and Discovery Tours offer higher class hotels and mostly private transportation - but still let you get out and explore the areas you are visiting. Classic trips for the most part have good hotels - private rooms with bathrooms but occassionally have multishare or camping which adds to the experience. YOLO and Basic trips are more basic. You may get nice accommodation but then again you might be in hostels or camping more often. You can also go under the "destinations" area of this forum and search for information and reviews from others who have done the trip you are thinking of. They often will describe the types of accomodation and the activities that people did. Keep in mind that the hotels often change and group dynamics make every trip unique but it will give you an idea.

As for fitness, age doesn't mean much. Lots of 20 year olds are in worse physical condition than a lot of older people. Unless the trip includes a trek, usually you have the ability to opt out of an activity if you feel you can't, or don't want to, do it. Even some of the trekks, such as the Inca Trail, give you other options.

Its a matter of attitude. If you go with an open mind, and the desire to try new things, and participate in being part of a group, you will have a great time and as you say, it may be a life changing experience.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby mclennox » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:02 pm

John and I are traveling with my father who turns 90 this year. We have been on tours where many of the group where much younger. Some of them went out partying in the evening and had droopy eyes in the morning. We all enjoyed each others company and got great insights from other members in the group.

We traveled 10 years or so ago with a group where the others were in their 50s. They were not as adventuresome and actually caused us to miss some things since they didn't get going in the morning (without the partying the night before...)

So try it, you'll like it!
mclennox

Postby beaufort13 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:30 pm

G'day you oldies!! :D I'm 59 and have booked to do the Appalachians in Autumn(Fall). I don't think that you're too old to join any of these groups. In fact it probably has benefits, kids tend to look out for you etc. No I'm looking forward to trekking with the group. :)
beaufort13

Postby holqu » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:37 pm

HI, I'm 65, turning 66 on an upcoming sailing trip Santorini to Santorini. And the rep said that it can be as laid back as you make it. there are 40, 50 and 60 yr olds (I"m the oldest, I think, on this one). Looking forward to beautiful scenery, weather, food - what could be better! Take the "plunge"!
holqu

Return to New Members