New Adventurer

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

New Adventurer

Postby Dawna » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:07 pm

Hello All,

I am happy to be a new member of the forum. Let me introduce myself. My name is Dawna and I have had the privledge to travel with GAP on one occasion. I loved my trip to China so much that it was the stepping stone to a much larger adventure with GAP that I just booked a week ago. I will be going on the Great South America Journey (JFC) on Oct 21st (as that is the date that enables you to experience the inca trail PLUS Carnival!!) This trip encompasses the entire continent for 5 months exploring the inca trail, the amazon and many more wonders!! After that, I have decided not to go home yet, but travel to the other side of the world to Thailand, where I will tour for a month with GAP on the Thailand Experience (ATTP).

During my adventures I will enjoy travelling solo, meeting fabulous new people and celebrating my 26th bday, christmas, and new years with people I have yet to meet. Who could ask for anything more? Talk to you all very soon!! Can't wait to hear of everyone elses past, present and future travels.

:D Dawna
Dawna
User Rank: Adventurer

Wow!

Postby MickeyMacks » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:01 am

That's certainly an ambitious travel itinerary - hat's off to you! Obviously you're not worried about getting homesick! :lol:

After this you'll be close to qualifying as a travel guide yourself - or perhaps you are one already :?:

You will become the master of travelling light! Have fun on your adventure of a lifetime!
MickeyMacks
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Alyssa » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi Dawna!

I'm sooo envious of your many months of traveling!! Unfortunately I'm not able to quit my job since I'm one of those that have a mortgage. I make the best of my 2 weeks vacation I'm given at work. I recently booked my first trip with GAP. I will be going on the Peru Panorama Oct. 7 - Oct. 21. I am sooooo excited!!! I can't wait to hike the Inca Trail and see the spectacular scenery. The funny thing is I've never gone camping before and my first time will be camping in another country!

It's fun celebrating your birthday in another country because you will always remember it for the rest of your life. Four years ago I backpacked through Europe and celebrated my 28th birthday in Rome and happened to be in Vatican City and saw the Pope doing Sunday mass in St. Peters square.

I'm sure you will love Thailand. I've been there twice since I have relatives over there. Once you get out of the city madness of Bangkok, the country side is beautiful. There is great shopping in Bangkok and everything is so cheap.

Have an awesome time!

Alyssa :D
Alyssa

Postby Dawna » Wed May 02, 2007 1:12 am

I completely understand about the mortgage thing. I was going to purchase a place but I decided against it as I know that right now I couldn't give up traveling.

The Inca trail sounds like it as going to be amazing!! I have had several friends that just went on the trip and, although all 4 people have said that it's very challenging, it was also the most amazing experience they have ever had!!

As for camping, you are going to have a blast. I think it will be even more exciting doing your first camp out in another country AND on the Inca trail That is definately a great story you can share. Just make sure that you are prepared for how cool it will get. Not only does it cool down quite a bit at night, your body heat is also absorbed by the ground. Just make sure that you have a sleeping mat and a good bag. Sounds like if we bring enough layering clothes we'll be warm enough.

Any other tips on Thailand? I am looking forward to getting out of the big city. I am not one to do a lot of shopping, but i am wondering about their clothing sizes. Do they have sizes that fit us Canadian women? When I was in China, everything was soo small unless you get items made for you.

Have a blast on your trip. Let me know how the camping goes!!
Dawna
Dawna

New Adventurer

Postby Caebru » Sat May 05, 2007 2:23 am

Hi,
I'm envious - that will be a great trip! I did the Andean Empire trip with GAP - Quito, Ecuador, through Peru to La Paz, Bolivai in Jan/Feb, with side trips to Iguassu Falls & Rio for Carnival after. Fantastic!
Which China trip did you go on & which would you recommend? I am planning on going to either China or Indo China (or both) next Spring. What were the highlights for you?
Enjoy your trip.
Doug
Caebru
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Dawna » Sat May 05, 2007 10:36 am

I would recommend the Essential China trip which is 21 days long. It is similar to the trip that I went on. highlights for me were Yangshuo (the town was amazing, so many things to do and its not your typical high rise city). Highlights in Yangshuo include: Cave exploring(didn't get a chance to do it but next time I will), boat ride on the Li River (gorgeous and you must do it), Biking through the mountains (amazing scenery), Hike up moonhill (what a climb, but the view is worth it), cooking classes, the nightly show was also amazing (it takes place ON the Li river, singing, and costumes were unbelievable this was my favorite nightly show.)
When you are in Chengdu you see the pandas and you must try the Spicy Hot Pot (that was the most entertaining dinner ever).
In Beijing you will be taken to all the main highlights (forbidden city, tianemen square-spelling?, the great wall) The Great Wall was the most amazing thing that I have ever done. I want to do it again, but this time explore a different part of the wall. Eat some peking duck.
If you have any other questions, just ask!! happy to help

Dawna
Dawna

New Adventurer

Postby Caebru » Sat May 05, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi Dawna,
Sounds great, thanks! What type of accommodation did you stay in & how was it?
Doug
Caebru

Postby Dawna » Sun May 06, 2007 12:17 am

The trip that I took was a comfort trip. G.A.P. no longer offers the comfort choice that I took, however I did speak with several people that did basic travel and original travel with GAP in China and they said that all of the accomodations were great. I can't remember any specific names of hotels, unfortunately, but they are all very clean, cozy and there were no hot water problems. I know that the hotel in Shanghai was given bad reviews on the feedback forms by the previous travel group, so GAP took action and changed the hotel that they used and when we got to Shanghai we ended up in an amazing hotel with spectacular views of the city!! Definately fill out those feedback forms at the end of your trip. These forms are important, as they make every trip better and better!!

Hope this helps
Dawna
Dawna

New Adventurer

Postby Caebru » Sun May 06, 2007 12:44 am

Thanks, I was wondering why that particular trip wasn't listed anymore. I'm used to the basic trips anyway, so should be no problem.
Doug
Caebru

New Adventurer

Postby Caebru » Sun May 06, 2007 1:44 am

If you are interested in seeing photos of some of the areas you will be travelling too, - esp. Carnival in Rio, - check http://www.worldisround.com. I put some on there (about articles 99 to 120 by now I think). There are lots on there from other people from all over the world too.
Doug (SDS)
Caebru

New Adventurer

Postby Caebru » Sun May 06, 2007 1:46 am

Oops, that's under South America of course.
Doug
Caebru

Thailand

Postby Alyssa » Fri May 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi Dawna,

I looked at the Thailand Experience itinerary and see you will be in a few places that I have visited. In Chiang Mai, Doi Suthep temple has a great view since it is at the top of a hill (mountain?). The climb up the 200-300 steps is a good workout. The side of the stairs are in the form of dragon bodies with the heads at the bottom of the stair...great photo shot! It's a beautiful temple, you'll enjoy your visit.

I'm a history buff and love visiting ancient ruins. The ancient city ruins of Ayuthaya is great. I got some great photos. It's peaceful to walk around and explore. You can even get elephant rides there. In kanchanburi, the Bridge on the River Kwai museum is interesting.

If you have time, in Bangkok, Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn) is a another beautiful temple along the river. The Grand Palace has beautiful traditional Thai architecture and the sacred emerald buddha. Women need to have their legs covered so you can't wear shorts. If you are not wearing pants or long dresses/skirts, you have to rent these ugly slip on skirts to cover your legs. I know this from personal experience. :shock: I shouldn't have listened to my father, he told me it was ok to wear shorts...wrong!

A good tip is to always bargain when you are shopping, it's expected. They will set the price high for foriegn tourist. As for clothing size, it may run smaller. It's been 6 yrs. since I was in Thailand, so I'm not sure.

You'll have an amazing time and I would love hear all about it!

Alyssa :D
Alyssa

Return to New Members