first time travelling

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

first time travelling

Postby joe_30 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi guys

Just throwing this question out to those frequent travellers, is it always better to book trips with g adventures than going off on your own? some trips can get pretty expensive, so can it be a better option just heading off to a country on your own and trying to make the most of it?

Thanks
joe_30
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: first time travelling

Postby ballu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:51 pm

A lot of us here might be a little biased... ;)

It's personal choice really...I only get a couple of weeks to travel at a time, so for me it's worth picking an itinerary and not wasting my time worrying about where I'm sleeping or how I'm going to get from point A to B, and sometimes on a tour you can get to places that would be difficult to reach on your own. I've never run into any issues, but if there were to be a transportation strike or some other problem the tour leader would be the one dealing with it and not me.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Re: first time travelling

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:02 pm

I've done a lot of both ways.
I would say that if you have a lot of time then do it by yourself, take your time and explore properly. Its a total blast! And your totally free.
If you are limited to 2 weeks or so, then definitely pick an adventure tour. All the logistics are sorted out for you, so you don't have to waste any time doing that. The days are busy and packed, you get to experience things and see places that maybe hard to get too and you get a bunch of like-minded new friends with which to do it.

As regarding cost. Don't think that doing it independently amounts to being cheaper, I don't believe it does, there are many many hidden costs that all soon add up, food, travel expenses, cost of hotels/hostels every night - that all adds up.

Also, think about the countries you are wanting to go to. Asia for instance is very easy to do independently as are places like Australia and NZ. But Africa say would be much more difficult. Europe and South America you would need a reasonable command of the languages or you may struggle to get what/where you want.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to New Members