First time GAP trip to Galapagos...any advice pr

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

First time GAP trip to Galapagos...any advice pr

Postby nialllynn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:15 am

Hi,

I'm a first time GAP adventurer and the first trip I decided to do is the 10 day Galapagos tour at the end of the year . If anyone has any tips or experiences they can share it would be appreciated.

I will say I'm really looking forward to it already. I had a cruise reserved on a large cruse ship but decided that I only live once and the idea of being stuck in a floating shopping mall wasn't my idea of a "life changing experience" so I cancelled and booked the Galapagos trip.

A few areas of concern- I am from Canada but read the US travel warnings for Quito, where we will be spending two nights, the night before and the night after our Galapagos Islands tour. The US warnings were pretty scary. They were pretty close to turning me off taking the trip. My feeling though after doing some reasearch is that if you use common sense, and be cautious, everything will work out fine.

The other was the Tsunami warnings from last year. Is something that I should be worrying about?

If anyone has some positive experience from this trip or a similar one, any feedback would be appreciated!

thanks!
nialllynn
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: First time GAP trip to Galapagos...any advice pr

Postby voidczech » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Hmmm... I'm not sure of the current state of affairs in Quito these days. I went to the galapagos islands on a 7day trip a few years ago and stayed a couple of nights in Quito. What I noticed right off the bat, is that at 2850m elevation, Quito is the highest elevated captial city in the world, so when you get off the plane you do feel it - like you're tipsy. We stayed at the Rio Amazones Hotel, which was pretty nice and just hung out in the local area for dinner and drinks (had my +60 mom with me). On the following day, instead of going into the city, we took a day trip to Cotopaxi - tallest active volcano ... was pretty cool.

For the galapagos - the sea tortoises were amazing, the sea lions even better, and if you don't watch where you're stepping, you're sure to trip over a lizard! lol.... The boat and crew and travellers were all great. I loved how they wrote out our itinerary on the white board every evening - i ended up taking a pic of it eat night for longevitiy. On word of procaution - ten out of sixteen of us ended up getting sick... the worst case was guy from Calgary on his honeymoon getting a parasite... just make sure you have your cipro with you and take it at the first signs of warning (no matter what the doc tells you). I personally never saw the last island and had the airport doctor on Baltra take a look at me... it thankfully subsided by the time I got to Lima (I wouldn't have been able to hike the Inca Trail afterwards if it hadn't).

Anyhow, that's a minor issue that could happen wherever you go. This will be a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy it!

Simone

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine
voidczech
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby lorrie jay » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:13 pm

I visited in 2000 with my hubby and 14 year old son. It wasn't with Gap but a small group is way better than the big group.
Buy sunscreen in Quito before you go- much better stuff than anything in N.A. Wear it all over every day. Keep your hat on- don't get sun stroke. Be moderate with alcohol- it doesn't mix with lots of hot sun. Make sure your sandals are quality. My son had to buy a new pair when we got there and they melted in the 40 degree Celcius heat walking over the lava beds. Invest in an underwater camera or other device to take photos underwater- it is so cool swimming with penguins, sharks and seals. Buy a six/12 pack of bottled water before you go over. Make sure your US $ park fee is a crisp new $100 or $20's no tears or marks.
Don't be surprised but sometimes there are 100's of people on some island trails at a time but most others are very quiet. Take a post card already filled out to send to someone special from the whaler's mail box on Floreana Island.
lorrie jay
User Rank: Traveller

Postby lorrie jay » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Oh and a box of Immodium does wonders for traveller's diarrhea.
lorrie jay

Return to New Members