Go or not go, thats the question.

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Go or not go, thats the question.

Postby sajjan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:16 am

Hi,

I am a new member here at GapAdventures and I have been browsing around the internet for some time to try to find a suitable trip for me and then I ran into GAP. And it seems like a great way of travelling.
I am from Sweden, I don't know if it is mostly US people that go but as it seems there is people from around the world.

The trip I am looking into is the one in central america, CGAH I think I would go in December.
Any other people out there that are thinking about doing this trip, or anyone done it?
sajjan
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Go or not go, thats the question.

Postby JaliscoJudy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:19 pm

Hello saajian. Welcome to the Watering Hole.

I went with Gap Adventures to the Galapagos Islands in April. There were people from Australia, England, Ireland, US and Canada. A little heavy on the English-speaking countries I guess but we also met people in other groups other countries as well. The diversity of the people was half the fun!

I haven't been on the Highlights of Central America trip, but it looks really great. It's one that I would love to take.

Buen viaje!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby jimshu » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Welcome saajian.Short answer -Go!
Throw yourself in and take the plunge.There will be people from all over.We're off to Ethiopia in August so it will also be interesting to see who's on that, age and country wise.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve

jimshu

Postby Zuleika » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:53 pm

I've had French, Chinese, Dutch and Danish on my GAP tours, along with all the English speaking countries.
Not very many Americans as they cant get much time off work. But plenty of Canadians - GAP being a Canadian company of course.
You should go for sure - you'll have a brilliant time!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby TravelFun » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:52 pm

There's only one answer to your question:

Just do it and GOOOOOOOOO...you will have a blast and will want to do it again and again and again!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby sajjan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:15 am

I just read a article about the founder and realized that GAP is a Canadian company, I thought it was from US. Not that it really matters.
Well as it looks right now I do think I will go, just need to convince my boss to give me 30 days off work. :)

This is probably not the right forum but maybe someone can answer me in short terms how the whole thing works. For instance if I do the Central America trip that starts from Antigua I guess I need to book the flight tickets there myself from Stockholm/Sweden. What happens then? Do the people meet up in a hotel in Antigua and start the trip together?
sajjan

Postby jimshu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:32 am

You're catching on quick sajjan.Your trip notes will give you the start hotel.You can make your own way there or book the airport/hotel transfer with Gap Adventures.
When you get to the start hotel, there will be a notice up in the foyer or hotel notice board advising your first meeting details.
BTW when you check your trip details, make sure you do click on the trip date showing for your trip.The joining hotel may change from tour to tour.
Hey, just ask for any more help , if you can't find what you want in the South America forum.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve

jimshu

Postby sajjan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:54 am

Wow, there's quick replies in this forum. Thanks a lot for that.
And thanks for the heads up in regards to the hotel.
I guess I am up to speed on how this things work. :)

One thing that do worries me is if the trip will get canceled as I saw that not all trips are guaranteed, only the once with an (G) is guaranteed. Usually how long before is it set to be guaranteed or not?
I don't like to end up in a situation where I have flight tickets to Guatemala and then get to know that the trip is canceled. And because of availability and obviously price I need to book the flight tickets rather early.
sajjan

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:33 pm

I believe GAP says they will not cancel less than 60 days prior to a trip date. That means that if you are less than 60 days prior to departure you should be able to book your flights and not worry about cancellation. In my experience if a trip does not have enough people at say, 61 days, GAP will tell you that the trip is canceled and you can re-book another date. I think that's enough time to book flights so wait until the trip is guaranteed.
GAP is a great company so you won't have any complaints. My trip to Peru with GAP was the highlight of 35 years of travel! Welcome!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby sajjan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:23 am

Ok, Thanks for the answer. That makes sence.
Actually I have looked at another trip that is a bit longer and from what I could understand it is always guaranteed, I guess it is a rather popular one and therefore always guaranteed.
Also I learned that there is different types of trips and this one is called YOLO and are more for younger people and I think that will suit me well, not that I am very young thou. :)
sajjan

Return to New Members