Yup thats right...my first GAP adventure!

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Yup thats right...my first GAP adventure!

Postby surjit » Sat May 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Hey!

My name's Surjit, I currently live in Manchester, England. Im hitting the tour: Highlights of Jordan on the 5th June. Really excited as its my first solo trip ^_^ `Im spending my lunch hours at work pottering around Blacks, Nomads and Cotsworld trying to decide on some decent gear. Just wondering if any experienced GAP'ers out there could give me some advice?

So far, I've spotted a 30L North Face Borealis daysack: http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/product.aspx?id=2009&aid=2 I was thinking that might be the most ideal bag because I can take it with me on the plane as hand luggage instead of checking it in.

I also cant decide between getting either a sports sandal made by Keen: http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/browse/mens-sandals/keen-newport-sandal-mens or a closed but breathable walking shoe: http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/browse/walking/merrell-moab-ventilator-mens

I've also been told that because i'm heading to Jordan in June, 100% light cotton is the way to go. I'm hoping that means I don't have to spend £30 per top the shop assistants recommended =/

Thanks!
surjit
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Yup thats right...my first GAP adventure!

Postby Zuleika » Sun May 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi Surjit - you'll have a great time!
Any daypack that you fancy, its all a matter of personal choice - will be fine, the size you've picked is about right - are you intending this to be your only luggage though? For me personally this wouldnt be big enough, but maybe you travel very light! This is the size I carry during the day as well as a main pack!
As regarding travel clothes, for a hot country cotton isnt really very good. the high wicking stuff that sadly costs a lot more is far better - so the shop assistants are indeed correct. This is much more comfortable and drys a lot quicker.
Have fun!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Yup thats right...my first GAP adventure!

Postby surjit » Tue May 11, 2010 9:44 am

Hey ^_^

Yup I do plan on travelling light. After further research I have found a Berghaus Roam 35 backpack is just the right dimensions to allow me to take it onto the plane as hand luggage...wow a main pack as well as a 30l? Im assuming thats including a sleeping bag and other equipment?? I'm not taking a sleeping bag, sleeping liner at the most which will folder away nicely. I plan on doing laundry half way through the trip aswell so that enables me to significantly lighten my load!

As for the clothing, im getting conflicting advice. Some people are saying to me get high wicking gear and layer it with a base layer. Other people are saying because its a hot and dry country, I will want to get 100% cotton or linen, due to its breathable qualities.

Hmm more research to be done I think!

Thanks for your advice.
surjit

Return to New Members