7 Countries 7 Giant Leaps

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

7 Countries 7 Giant Leaps

Postby hcdownes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Hello fellow travelites,

I am new to Gap Adventures and pretty much new to travelling, at least properly as just having graduated from uni last June.

So 2010 is my year.

This is my year to do something amazing, exhilarating and exciting - and my chance to have a life experience that will benefit me in more ways that I can think of right now.

I depart the UK at the end of April and fly to Moscow where I will catch The Vodkatrain to Mongolia and then onto Beijing.

I then have Roam China and Southern Thailand Sojourn tours booked to leave in May, which I have already posted in the May section in the Departure Lounge forum.

From Bangkok I head to Australia for three weeks to take part in th Oz Experience, I then fly to Auckland to stay with my uncle - I will be very lucky by then to see a familiar face and have a washing machine to use! I'm also hoping to take a work permit with me.

After spending X amount of time in NZ with family, I round up my trip in LA before flying back to London Heathrow. Funds permitting by then!

Now all I need to worry about is getting my visas and buying a backpack - which are the best travelling shops?

Finally does anyone have any tips for these fantastic countries?

I can't wait to leave and I'm really looking forward to what's to come on the other side of the world.
Harriet
Last edited by hcdownes on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
hcdownes
User Rank: Weekender

Re: 7 Countries 7 Giant Leaps

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Ahhhhhhhh....how exciting! :P

I'm assuming you're from the UK, if so there's plenty of travel shops such as:

Cotswold Outdoor
Itchy Feet
Rohan
Fat Face
Nomad Travel Store
Northface
Blacks

All with varying prices so do check out as many as you can in your area. I took a 60L backpack and a 30L daypack with me around 9 countries in South America for 4 months...still use them for all my travels. Get one that measures to your back perfectly and then you won't get any back-related problems...I found Costwold Outdoor very friendly and helpful and they do give you dedicated time and very good advice.

Just ask if you any more questions!

You're going to have a fantastic time...
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Re: 7 Countries 7 Giant Leaps

Postby hcdownes » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:54 am

Thank you very much for the good advice!

Not forgetting Katmandu as well. :)

I'm going to have a search of all the stores that are near me and go and check out some packs and get fitted. A day pack sounds good as well, I'm hoping to get a pack on wheels that I can wear and drag if I need to. :D
hcdownes

Return to New Members