I Think I've Been Bitten...

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

I Think I've Been Bitten...

Postby colinjd » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:50 pm

...by the travel bug :D

Evening everyone, I'm new here and so I thought a little introduction would be in order considering I plan to look for so much help over the coming months.

It's taken a very long time but I've finally decided that the traditional holiday is over and it's about time I got out into the world and did a bit of exploring. To that end, a couple of hours ago I confirmed my booking for the Peru Panorama (PPP) trip for 14th May 2011. Yes, that is correct, i did say May 2011. I know it's a long way away but not having done anything like this before at least it will give me time to plan. And save!

Also, I reach my 50th birthday earlier in 2011, which was the reason why I was looking for something a little out of the ordinary. For years, I've wanted to see Machu Picchu and though there are options of travelling up by train I really want to feel the accomplishment of getting there via the 4-day hike. My dodgy knees may disagree with me at the end but I just know it's something I'd regret if I didn't.

I'll be travelling on my own, I'm already excited though I really must stop reading the sections of the guidebooks that give you warnings about muggings, robberies and lists of potential medical ailments that sound like something off a horror film.

There is so much I don't know about travelling and though I expect to find most of what I need somewhere on these boards, don't be surprised if I throw out the odd stupid question from time to time.

Thanks for reading, happy trails and the countdown has begun.

Colin
colinjd
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: I Think I've Been Bitten...

Postby jimshu » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:05 pm

Hiya Colin,
You're taking those first steps in adventure travel that will see you stricken with the travelling bug for a lifetime.There's plenty of info in the threads here, and the members are really helpful.
odd stupid question from time to time.

There are no stupid questions here. :D If you can't find the info you need, just ask.
Enjoy your travels.
Jim
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby ballu » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:27 pm

Welcome to The Watering Hole Colin!

You're going to love Peru. I hiked the Inca Trail on a sprained ankle...it definately wasn't easy, but the experience was worth the pain. You may want to rent a proper hiking pole or two for the hike when you get to Cusco.

Don't get too freaked out about the mugging reports. Be smart about it, wandering around alone at night probably isn't a good idea...but mostly you'll be with the group. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up plenty of safety tips on the board before your trip.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:19 am

Welcome, welcome! My husband and I also hiked the Inca Trail for our 50th birthdays. It was difficult but we LOVED it! Another member of our group celebrated his 50th the day we arrived at Machu Picchu and the cooks baked him a cake! Rent trekking poles when you get to Peru, your knees will thank you for it. The guides were wonderful. I was always the last in to lunch, camp, etc and they NEVER made me feel that I was a burden. Any time I was out of breath and had to stop they would point out local flowers or talk more about the Inca society so it passed the time more quickly. It was great.

For perspective in the muggings/robberies/medical ailments department before I left for Peru I picked up the nearest big city newspaper (Toronto) and decided I might be afraid to visit it if I didn't already live here. :lol:

The best advice for that was right here in the Watering Hole. If you pull out "insert expensive object here" in downtown "insert big city here" you will be robbed, doesn't matter what country you are in. Leave your gold jewellery/watch home, buy a backpack now and start scuffing it up, wear your old comfortable clothes. You'll be hooked like we were!

Enjoy!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby earth2al » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi Colin, I know I've been bitten! I recently completed my first adventure, to Mt. Everest, in October '09. All I can think, or dream, about is my next excursion. I made my reservation 11 months in advance, that 11 months was almost as exciting as the actual trip, and I'm certain that it will be the same for you. I am giving serious thought to doing the Inca trail, also sometime in early 2011, as my next trip and that's how I stumbled onto your post.

Don't be overly concerned by warnings in guide books as I believe that they obligated to inform us of all possibilities. I received far more accurate info from these boards via the phrase "common sense".

Did I mention that I'm a 50-something with several lumbar surgeries and a titanium hip? Mind over matter! (Sorry to have bored any of you 'youngsters' who may have had to suffer through this paragraph!)

Anyhow, Good Luck to you Colin and perhaps our paths will cross, at least on the board... :mrgreen:

Trust in Allah, but tie your camel... Prophet Muhammad
earth2al
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi,

I missed to introduce myself when joining the watering hole in october but I want to catch up for it now.

I am Vanessa and I come from Cologne in Germany. I am 32 years old and I am definitely bitten by the the travelbug. I travelled a lot all my life and I used to travel not on groupt tours until I did my first gap trip "Bangkok to Hanoi Adventure" last April and what should I say? Right before Christmas I booked my second gap trip "Essential China" which starts in May and I already think of booking the third one "Yunnan and Tibet Adventure" after returning from China which I would love to do in August or September.

There are many more gap trips which sound to be great fun but for this year those two are my favourites.

Happy travels to all of you!

Vanessa

Stories and photos from my travels: http://www.travellingcolognian.com/
kiwikoalabaer77
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby jimshu » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:14 pm

I admire all you guys setting out on your first adventure.That spirit of setting off into the unknown,will stay with you.And when you face other situations in life, you won't be afraid to take the risk and make things happen for yourself.
Now Vanessa.How about your username?I'm intrigued.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve

jimshu

Postby lise45 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Vanessa I'm thinking of doing my first GAP trip on the Bangkok trip you took. I'm taking my son for his graduation trip... do you think it would be fun for us?
lise45

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Sun May 15, 2011 2:25 am

Hi Lise,

your idea of doing a Mother and Son Adventure on the occasion of his graduation year sounds great, you both will love it.

I don't know if you can afford the time and the money but if so, I would recommend you to do the Indochina Encompassed tour (ATIE) which takes 29 days, starts in Bangkok and goes through Northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam (from north to south) and Cambodia back to Bangkok. The Bangkok to Hanoi Adventure which I did was the first (Northern Thailand and laotian) part of it and I regret that I didn't do the full Indochina trip. I would rather do the Indochina Encompassed than the Indochina Discovery trip although the last spends more time in Cambodia and Vietnam but you don't sleep on a junk boat in Halong Bay (which I did after my trip with a vietnamese company, it was gorgeous!) and I don't know if you spend one or two days on a boat on the Mekong in Laos (on my trip we spent two days). And you have more inclusions on the Encompassed trip than on the Discovery.

Well, I hope that helps.

Happy travels,

Vanessa

kiwikoalabaer77

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Sun May 15, 2011 2:28 am

Btw, jimshu, my username is a combination of the kiwi, the flightless bird of your homecountry, the australian koalabear and the 77 is the year I was born.

Cheers :D

Vanessa

kiwikoalabaer77

Return to New Members