Young travellers?

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Young travellers?

Postby catherine! » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm an 18 year old girl from the South of England and I just booked my trip to Peru for next summer through STA travel! I'm soo excited and am already packing in my head haha. I wondered what the average age of people on these trips is - are there likely to be other young single travellers on gap years and whatnot or will it be mainly older people?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
catherine!
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Young travellers?

Postby sinecure » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:09 pm

Peru is one of Gaps most active areas. You'll most likely have a wide variety of ages on your tour. Post in our departure lounge and talk to the people going on your trip before you even get there.

:mrgreen:
sinecure

Postby deannaandleo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 pm

I dont know how old people normally are on these trips either, however my boyfriend and I are taking the JQR trip leaving Nov 22 and he is 35 years old and I am 24 years old.
deannaandleo
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Zuleika » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:06 pm

I have travelled on these tours with 18 to 80 year olds and everything in between.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby catfox » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:02 am

Hey Catherine!
Im Catherine too, from Manchester and I am on a gap year before uni, just turned 19 :) I was a bit worried about that too, but if you ring gap adventures they can give you a bit of an idea of the ages on your tour. My brother did this tour on his gap year and was with people mostly in their early 20s. Im going on the Nairobi to Cape town group in april, coming home for 6 days then going to Peru. Me and my friend are thinking about doing the peru tour in june or july, which month are you going in?
Catherine
catfox

Postby hay125 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:42 am

Hi! I'm just turning 19 and was wondering the exact same thing! I would really love to do the Siam Discovery trip this June but was not wanting to be the "odd one out" by being ten years younger than all of the other travelers. Good to know that they'll provide you with the ages of those participating on the trip if you call! Thanks :)
hay125

Postby japachap » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:25 am

Sometimes the 'older travellers' can be very handy!
Ok so Im 36, but when I was in Vietnam a few years ago, we had a very young group, but one lovely lady in her 50's. As it turned out, she was great at gettimng to know the locals and without her contacts we wouuldnt have been able to arrange some of the things we did on the trip. Our tour guide (Not a GAP guide) was useless and through her openness to others we were able to arrange scooter hire and drink/eat in the streets with real local people.
Dont worry about someone in your group being older or younger. Most travellers are extremely relaxed and acommodating. Plus, even if you are a full group of 'youngsters' it doesnt mean you'll all want to do the same thing at the same time. The good thing about these tours is there is always flexibility to do your own thing and it often leads to a better experience for the whole group (ie- someone finds a cheap snack bar for lunch whilst someone else stumbles across an awesome cafe for evening meal- or in my case, befriends locals and opens doors to otherwise unavailable adventures...).

Dont fret. No-ones going to 'mother you'- but if someone older offers advice, take it on board. We all look out for each other on the road!

By the way- was that STA Bournemouth? Top people! They got me organised for the first half of my World trip, and STA Perth (Australia) organised the second half...
japachap
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby jimshu » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:42 pm

We've travelled with GAP and similar style companies many times over the past 10 years.And commomly, the age spread can be from 18-80.
But the demographics will mean a large group in the young 18-35 age group.Few in the 36-50 age group, then another large group in the over 50's.
Just reflects the fact that a lot of young ,mainly single people are travelling.They've got the time and money and spirit.
But the middle age group have moved into family,career and mortgage commitments.There's a few in that age group.
And the upper age group are often people who have had good careers,built up savings,and now have the resources to travel, and have taken time off to do it.And with this style of travel, they are often backpackers when they themselves were younger.Probaly explains why they are just great to have on this type of trip, because they have a great outlook on life, open to young ideas, and a world of experience.
You'll be surprised 30 years in the future, how many people you met on that first trip, that you are still in touch with.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Return to New Members