New to Board - Questions on What to bring

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

New to Board - Questions on What to bring

Postby mommadoc » Sun May 06, 2007 2:17 am

Hi,
My husband and I just signed up for a 14 day tour - Essence of Peru (no Inca Trail) for the beginning of July. We travel a great deal, but never in a tour for the whole time. Planning this trip on our own just seemed too overwhelming..... We are in our fifties, young (we were wild in the 1970's) but not in perfect shape. He is diabetic., I sometimes have knee problems. although I am a daily walker and yoga practitioner. . Will this create any problems?

Also, I have no idea what kind of suitecase or backpack to bring and what to pack. Any suggestions? Thanks.. I hope this is an appropriate post, this is my first here... Lisa
mommadoc
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Essence of Peru...what to bring

Postby Ordles » Sat May 12, 2007 10:33 pm

Hi there,
My husband and I (also in early 50's) are also doing Essence of Peru in June. Our son works for G.A.P. and has recommended we each take a framed backpack and have a smaller daypack. Apparently, we won't have to carry the packs too much as we leave them at the hotels for the day trips. It is a comfort trip and the only hard part is adjusting to the altitude when we arrive in Cusco. They recommend an infusion of coca in the form of tea and it's supposed to alleviate the light-headedness. We have bad knees too but you can take your time with not too much hiking. From what I've seen though there are a lot of terraces and levels at Machu Piccu so we're bringing tensors and knee supports and good hiking shoes. We'll also invest in a bamboo walking stick which are available there. Don't forget your Deet for the jungle...we just got our yellow fever shots. We're trying to travel light and the list they recommend is what we're sticking to. The nights are cool so a fleece and windbreaker are recommended.
We're really looking forward to the trip - hope you enjoy it as much as we intend to!!! :D
Ordles
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby ballu » Mon May 14, 2007 9:34 am

Best to bring clothes that you can layer. It'll be hot in the jungle and could get quite cool in the higher altitudes, especially at night so you have to be prepared for all types of weather. If you have layered clothes can take off or put on clothes as the temperature changes.
ballu

Return to New Members